British ultra runner, William Sichel will return to Monaco this weekend to defend his title at the 'No Finish Line' 8 Day ultra marathon. The 59-year-old set a new course record at the race last year, becoming the first person to cover more than 1000km/624 miles during the event.
Princess Stephanie of Monaco will fire the starting gun at 1pm UK time on Saturday 17 November and the final gun will be fired at 1pm UK time on Sunday 25 November with Albert II Prince of Monaco and Charlene Princess of Monaco presenting prizes. Unlike in previous years where he has worked with a limited budget, Hotel Métropole Monte-Carlo will be sponsoring William and his support team's participation in the event this year.
William said: "It will be good to have some local support and back-up, as we usually operate in a very low key manner for this event."
The Orkney AC runner is currently involved with Project 60@60 which sees him attempt to set 60 ultra distance records, at World, British and Scottish level, including age-groups, before his 60th birthday on 1 October 2013. William has currently set 58 records, including six World age group records.
He was realistic about his chances of achieving more records in Monaco: "There will be a number of opportunities for records in Monaco but, because the course gets extremely crowded for long periods, especially at the weekends, it isn't really conducive to record setting. Having said that, I'll be doing my utmost to set more records."
The race is part of a festival of running which saw over 6,000 participants lap the one mile circuit around the port in central Monaco last year. Every lap completed raises one euro for children's charities, donated by the Government of Monaco.