20 Nov

Metro Headline in Fraserburgh Feast

Fraserghburgh HaM

Metro Aberdeen R.C stormed to success at the Fraserburgh Half Marathon held on Sunday, November 15. The Grampian club earned five out of six of the top places, securing Gold in the overall race as well as in the male vet category. However it was the local ladies who were the leading lights in the women's race, as Fraserburgh RC deservedly won first, second and third prizes.

Some 175 runners braved the head wind in the rugged north east of the country which saw Niku Millott winning in a time of 1:18:20. The wind may have slowed the runners but twenty-eight year old Metro Aberdeen runner was just a little slower than in his recent Aviemore performance, where he placed third in 1:17:38. Keith's Frankie Barton placed runner-up with a time of 1:18:33, to cap a tremendous season which has seen the 54 year old winning a number of races including the Moray and Peterhead 10ks. Metro's Neil Jaffrey placed third with a time of 1:18:55.

One, Two and Three for Fraserburgh

In the women's race it was Elaine Whyte that shone brightest, the 41 year old Fraserburgh athlete winning in a time of 1.29.13, almost four minutes slower than her time last year. Behind Whyte was fellow Fraserburgh vet Gillian Strachan, who has run both the London and Moray marathons this year, the 35 year old earned runner-up position with a time of 1.33.11. Lisa Stephen completed the local trio, the 32 year old who placed second in 2006, claimed third spot with a time of 1.37.00.

Mary Davies

Mary Davies of Jogscotland Peterhead finished the race in a Season Best of 2:14:57, the vintage runner gave www.scottishrunningguide her thoughts on the event: "It was a very enjoyable race held on a sunny but cold and breezy morning. The first four miles were on road, the route then took us on to farm track and then onto a disused rail line for approximately two miles. We then had a treat of a nice little run uphill for a mile or so followed by a boring bit to the turn around point. We then retraced our steps back to Fraserburgh, where the local club had laid on a fabulous spread of food for everyone. It was a well organised and marshalled race but one small gripe that I would have would be the lack of a medal for all finishers but apart from that I enjoyed the race and would do it again."

The event held in the largest shellfish port in Europe was closed by Carron Willox who finished in 175th position with a time of 2:43:51.

After the race athletes were rewarded with a Fraserburgh feast of soup, pasta, sandwiches, cakes and more.

Full Results Here